Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Move the "My Documents" Folder to Another Disk or Partition in Windows XP

Moving your "My Documents" folder to another hard drive or partition has the following benefits:

  • isolates the folder from the system partition so that you won't have to worry about losing your personal data when re-installing Windows;
  • makes more room for your system files and personal data if you move it to a larger drive;
  • improves system i/o performance by reducing fragmentation on your system files due to constant file alteration on the "My Documents" folder.
By default, the target or actual location of the "My Documents" folder is "C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents", where "C" is the drive in which Windows is installed, and "user name" is the currently logged-on user. You can change the target if you want "My Documents" to point to a different folder location.

To change the default location of the "My Documents folder," follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then point to "My Documents."
  2. Right-click "My Documents," and then click "Properties."
  3. Click the "Target" tab.
  4. In the "Target" box, do one of the following: (Type the folder location that you want, and then click "OK." Ex. "D:\My Files." If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click "Yes" to create the folder, and the click "OK.") or (Click "Move," click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click "OK" twice. If you need to create a new folder, click "Make New Folder." Type a name for the folder and then click "OK" twice.)
  5. In the "Move Documents" box, click "Yes" to move your documents to the new location, or click "No" to leave your documents in the original location.

0 comments so far:

Talk to Memnoch (A.I.)